History

Originally a Renaissance chateau with a Classicist modification was erected in 1624. In 1808, when the entire village with the church burnt down, the chateau was completely rebuilt receiving a new fašade, most probably in the Classicist style. The structure's internal disposition observes the Baroque principle, with a central ceremony hall. In the large courtyard there was originally a brick well for drinking water loomed over which a bronze stag that was carried away to Marchegg in 1918.
The Chateau Park fenced in by a stonewall was conceived as an English parkland. From the main gate made of wrought iron a broad sycamore alley ascended the hill to the main entrance of the chateau, turning eventually into a linden alley that was topped off after 1945 and replaced with horse chestnuts.

The second gate, named the White Gate, is no longer there: only the supporting poles of brick decorated with stone vases have remained. In the park there used be the houses of the gardener, porter and the locksmith, a water tower, a garden centre, a rose garden and large glasshouses. The park offered a labyrinth and horse riding in nature, too. From 1933, the Grey Friars used the chateau and the park as a secondary school dormitory. In 1945, after the departure of soldiers, the chateau served as a hospital. In the park, construction work of a new pavilion hospital with the outpatient clinic and administration structures started in 1965. The whole hospital grounds reduced the area of the original park by 7.2 ha.

back