Tiere und Pflanzen
In ‘Lés’ Forest,
some typical wildlife survives.
The ‘English Garden’ retains much of
its original form and also many of its rare botanical specimens, planted
a century ago (1906). Amongst these are Ginkgos, and a large specimen
of Californian redwood. There are also notable specimens of Incense cedar
of similar age.
One of the most magnificent Baroque–Rococo aristocratic residences in Central Europe, the palace reached its present form in 1778 after several phases of construction. Today the central part serves as a museum. The formal garden in the ceremonial court will be restored in the near future.
The central and most spectacular part of the gardens. The clipped, overgrown yew-cones that can be seen today are remains of a Neo-baroque scheme by Anton Umlauft from 1903.
The Pump House
Constructed in 1906, this fine Neo-baroque building, ornamented with columns and a fountain, housed the pump that in the first half of the 20th century supplied the whole ensemble at Eszterháza with water from the 18th century well beneath. The balustrade on the top of the Pump House echoes that on top of the palace.
The industrial centre of the estate
After 1900, when the economy of the whole estate began to be revived,